Believers Under Construction
The goal of MVC's Discipleship Program is disciples that are maturing in their faith. The following characteristics should be considered as marks of a maturing disciple:
- Spirit-filled Living (Eph 5:18). Christ-centered living evidence by persons who:
- Love God (Matt 22:36-40) - express in worship and holy living
- Love Others (Matt 22:36-40) - expressed in fellowship and forgiveness
- Spirit-gifted Serving (Rom 12:4-6). Ministry to Others
- Spirit-empowered Witnessing (Acts 1:8). Evangelism
- Multiplying Disciples (2 Tim 2:2). Making reproducible disciples who can make disciples of others.
Discipleship Plan & Process
Discipleship is a process. In the big picture, discipleship is a process of moving a persons from being nonbelievers to being maturing disciples. Although the steps after conversion are not always takin in order, it is helpful to consider the process in smaller steps such as:
- Nonbeliever to Believer
- Believer to Church Member
- Church Member to Growing Christian
- Growing Christian to Serving Christian
- Serving Christian to Witnessing Christian
- Witnessing Christian to Multiplying Christian (Disciple-Maker)
Representing Christ in the new millennium requires three basic skills:
- First, Christ's ambassadors need the basic knowledge necessary for the task. They must know the central message of God's Kingdom.
- Second, our knowledge must be tempered with the kind wisdom that makes our message clear and persuasive. This requires the tools of a diplomat, not the weapons of a warrior.
- Finally, our character. If a person does not embody the virtues of the Kingdom he serves, he will undermine his message and handicap his efforts.